Unlike the last few years, I was unable to publish this post before the Oscars were handed out. But despite the delay, I think it was important to post it, to celebrate the unsung heroes (female and male technicians and artists), who have made it a habit to get nominated at for the Academy Awards.
- Alexander Desplat (Music Composer): Nine nominations in the last twelve years, including two wins. That's some form! Won for 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' and 'The Shape of Water'. Other works include 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button', 'The King's Speech', and 'Argo'.
- Doug Hemphill (Sound Designer): Between Dick Tracy (1990) and Life of Pi (2012) and finally 'Blade Runner 2049' (2017), only one win. And that was in 1993 for 'The Last of the Mohicans'. So it has been 25 years without a win despite frequent nominations.
- Gregg Landaker (Sound Designer): 'Dunkirk' resulted in Landaker's fourth win, but first in twenty-three years. The first three wins were for 'Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back', 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' and 'Speed'.
- David Parker (Sound Designer): Nominated for the first time thirty-four years ago for 'Never Cry Wolf'. Won for 'The English Patient' in 1996 and then for 'The Bourne Ultimatum' in 2008. 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' earned him his ninth nomination but it did not convert into a win.
- Diane Warren (Songwriter): Nine nominations in thirty-one years. And not a single win. Well, she has won a Grammy, an Emmy and a Golden Globe. But an Oscar eludes her. This time she lost to 'Coco'.
- Joe Letteri (VFX Artist): In the last sixteen years, he has won ten nominations and four wins (for 'Lord of the Rings': Parts 2 and 3, 'King Kong' and 'Avatar'). Was nominated for 'War for the Planet of the Apes' this time, but 'Blade Runner 2049' prevented him from his fifth win.
- Michael Semanick (Sound Designer): After winning for 'Lord of the Rings - Part 3' and 'King Kong', he has been nominated for 'Ratatouille', 'Wall-E' and 'The Social Network', among others. The latest Star Wars movie earned him his eleventh nomination, but could not win.
- Hans Zimmer (Music Composer): 'Dunkirk' failed to give him his second Oscar, the first and the only win had come for 'The Lion King' in 1995, despite earning nominations for 'Inception', 'Gladiator' and 'The Thin Red Line', among others.
- Roger Deakins (Director of Photography): Nominated for the first time for 'The Shawshank Redemption' twenty-three years ago. It was followed by more nominations, for 'Fargo', 'Kundun', 'No Country for Old Men', 'Skyfall' and 'Sicario', among others. Finally, Deakins won his first Oscar for 'Blade Runner 2049'. More to follow, soon?
And then, of course:
- John Williams (Music Composer): The 85-year old genius who has composed numerous iconic tunes, including those for 'Star Wars', 'E.T.', 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Harry Potter' and has won five Oscars. Since 1968, he has earned a nomination almost every year. However, he won his last trophy twenty-four years ago for 'Schindler's List' and this time too he lost to the first name on this list.